Blog Archive

NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil Swatches and How To Depot.

I'm sure a lot of you heard of NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil (JEP) before. Almost all make up gurus in Youtube will at least use this wonderful pencil once in any of their tutorial. Since everyone almost gone crazy over the JEP I decided to join the crowd as well. I bought these from Low Yat forum. From NYX Malaysia Unofficial and Shazzac.

Colours that I have.
From left 624 Cherry, 622 Yellow, 618 Purple, 603 Pots & Pans, 622 Electric Blue, 616 Pacific, 624 Rocky Mountain Green, 621 Pure Gold, 601 Black Bean.
In the jars behind are Milk and 620 Brown.

First of all, for application this thing is amazingly smooth. The colour will literally glide on your skin. Really easy! You don't have to pull your skin ( if excessively done can lead to premature aging!) to make it taut so just you can draw straight line.
It is rich in colour, so a bit will do. Most importantly...Affordable. Only RM13.50 per pencil! 

Every good stuff has its negative side as well don't they? Yes this pencil is rich and smooth in texture, glide on your skin like satin BUT they are very creamy. Super creamy! Some of the Youtubers use this as an eye base before applying eyeshadows. Maybe it works for them. Maybe they just have very dry eyelids. 
For me, these pencils cannot serve their purpose if I were to use them as an eye base. I tried and it smudge very badly after 2 hours! TWO freaking hours!
I only use these pencils to enhance my eyeshadow colours especially if I'm planning on doing smokey eyes. Before using the JEP I will need to use my UDPP. I can't live without them. Seriously.

Here are the swatches of the colours I have.

The colours above are applied without base. As you can see very clearly from the picture, Purple texture is not so nice. A bit chunky. Same goes with Yellow. Others are fine.
The Electric Blue supposed to be 'electric blue' , I have no idea why it turn out to be turquoise even upfront =(

As promised I'm going to show you guys how to depot your JEP into a jar! The size of the pencil itself might be a problem when you want to sharpen them. But I'm pretty sure that every bookstore have the jumbo size pencil sharpener. 

I depotted mine mainly because it is easier to apply with my eye brush. I don't think by depotting your JEP into a jar, you will save a lot of product. It doesn't make any different. In fact, if you are not too careful you end up losing more product rather than saving like I did, with my milk JEP. =(

When you use brush the application is more consistent. But depotting is really troublesome! That's why so far I only depotted 2 =P

DISCLAIMER:
Do this at your own risk. I won't be held responsible if you burn down your house!
What you need is a 5g jar ( or bigger), plier, microwave, microwavable cup and of course your JEP!


First, wiggle the metal part at the end of the pencil until the metal part detached.

Second, place your JEP in the jar. Then place the jar in the microwavable glass.


Then place the glass into your microwave. I set mine at medium heat for 2 minutes. REMEMBER TO CHECK your pencil constantly!!!! In case it get burn or something.

 This is the end look of the pencil. Hollow.

And this is your new JEP in a jar!!

Leave it to dry for 5 minutes. There you have it!
Look like dark chocolate. Yumm! =P

Leave it to dry for 5 minutes. There you have it!
Look like dark chocolate. Yumm! =P

The textures won't change. BUT you only can do this to NYX JEP and not to other type of pencil be it from NYX or other brand because other pencil is less creamy and by melting them you might change their textures.



The product won't come out even when you place it upside down :)


There are a lot of tutorials on Youtube showing you how to transfer NYX JEP as well. If you prefer watching video you can google them up :) Most of the Youtubers use hair dryer instead of microwave. Hair dryer works but it will take longer time and could be messy =)

I hope this tutorial will help you guys =) If you find any other cool ways of doing stuff drop me a comment =D


ps: Just bought my Unii Palette online! Yay!! Can't wait!